Friday 22 October 2010

19/10/2010

Today I had a maths AS level class of 2 hours and a half. In theory the class was divided in two, one hour first, an hour to have lunch and then another hour and a half. Apparently the students decided with the teacher to do the 2.5 hours in a row.
I taught the Method of Induction. I wanted them to work in groups to get the rules by themselves by helping each other. It didn't really work. I told them to work together. They worked with the partner but not in groups. In the end I gave them the rules because I saw them waiting for it and I was running out of time.
I think next time I should do the following:
- 2.5 hours in a row is too much. So even if they ask, I am going to do the lesson as it is on the timetable, that is, split in an hour and an hour and a half.
- I will tell them to sit in groups of 3 or 4 to work together. I will decide the groups myself so I can mix up the students.
- I will tell them that they should try together to get the rules instead of me giving them straight away.
- I will tell them that when they go to Uni and to work they will have to work in groups and that sometimes they will have to discover things by themselves, so this practice is going to help them.

No comments:

Post a Comment