Saturday 29 January 2011

GCSE Physics lesson 24/01/2011

This week I did two GCSE Physics lessons. It was the same lesson with different groups. The lesson was about roller coasters and how they work in terms of speed, acceleration, force and energy.
I prepared an exercise containing and diagram of a roller coaster and some questions. I wanted the students to try the questions without me explaining the answers in the first place. The questions were made step by step so at the beginning were easier and then they got more difficult.
In both lessons happened more or less the same. The students were able to do the easier questions but then they got stuck in the more difficult ones, so in the end, I explained the questions myself (something that I wanted to avoid doing). What could have I done differently?
They answered the questions individually or in pairs. I think if they had worked in groups they would have been able to answer more questions helping each other.
I think I should have given a bit more of guidance before starting answering the questions.
There is a simulation of a skater in the physics-online webpage that could have helped them understand the roller coaster in terms of energy and friction.
I  need to make the questions easier. Sometimes the problem is that they don't understand what the question in asking. I need to make the language more simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment