Friday 3 December 2010

30/11/2010 First mentor observation

On Tuesday my mentor observed me for the first time. It was a Physics GCSE lesson about gravity. I should have done it the previous day but the students didn't turn up so I had to do a lesson with a new group.

Overall I'm quite happy with the lesson. My mentor gave me a good feedback. The students were engaged with the lesson most of the time. I did a couple of activities (comment Earth without gravity and why all objects don't fall the same way) that really involved the students. Some positive feedback that the mentor gave me are the following:

- I treat the students with respect and they respect me.
- Good tone of voice and situation in the classroom.
- Enjoyable and appropriate activities for the lesson.
- Very good use of the resources.

My mentor gave me some tips to take into account for the next lessons:

- The font in the presentations should be bigger (about 40).
- I could have included some peer assessment, when talking about the difference between mass and weight.
- Health and Safety: there were two students at the front blocking the exit. Be sure at the beginning of the lesson about health and safety.
- Take time in the slides.
- The video of the feather and ball was quick. Underline it so that students are more focused.
- Use numbers to make W=mg-drag more clear.
- Differentiation. For example I could put in my lesson plan that some questions are for the more able students.

No comments:

Post a Comment